Welcome to the St George and Sutherland Hospitals Department of Haematology.
Our unit provides comprehensive care to patients with a broad spectrum of benign and malignant haematological disorders including anaemias, leukaemias, lymphomas, myelomas and disorders of haemostasis or thrombosis. The unit also provides high dose therapy and autologous stem cell transplantation.
All of our Haematologists manage both general haematological and haemato-oncological conditions.
- Professor Beng Chong (MBBS PhD FRACP FRCPA FRCP) – Consultant Haematologist and Director of Haematology
- Conjoint Professor Szu-Hee Lee (MBBChir PhD FRACP FRCPA) – Senior Staff Specialist
- Dr Xavier Badoux (MBBS FRACP FRCPA) – Staff Specialist
- Dr Shir Jing Ho (MBBS FRACP FRCPA) - Staff Specialist
- Dr Amanda Hugman (MBBS FRACP FRCPA) - Staff Specialist
- Dr Sundra Ramanathan (MBBS FRACP FRCPA) - Staff Specialist
- Dr Fernando Roncolato (BMed FRACP FRCPA) - Staff Specialist
Appointments and Clinics
Our clinics are in 2 locations on the St George Campus.
- Clinics of Professor Chong and C/Prof Lee are located in the Prince William Wing of the hospital and appointments can be made on 02 9113 2513. The Prince William Wing is on the St George Hospital campus and is most readily accessed from Belgrave St.
- Clinics of Drs Badoux, Ho, Hugman, Ramanathan and Roncolato are located in the Cancer Care Centre and appointments can be made on 02 9113 3943. The Cancer Care Centre is on the St George Hospital campus and can be accessed from Chapel St.
- Dr Ramanathan also sees patients in the Oncology clinic at Sutherland Hospital and appointments can be made on 02 9540 8140
Location - Department of Haematology
Level 4, Clinical Services Building, St George Hospital, Gray St, Kogarah.
The Clinical Trials Unit has been operating since 1995 in a purpose-built dedicated unit. The unit conducts research to maximise access to new and novel therapies for haematology patients. Principal Investigators are supported by a team dedicated to clinical research. The Clinical Research Unit staff are trained in research processes which are in compliance with Good Clinical Practice (GCP), offer high quality clinical trial management, and support and promote clinical research in our individual institutions. The St George Hospital and The Sutherland Hospital are both ideally positioned for conducting trials requiring both inpatient and outpatient based populations. The St George Clinical School, operating from St George Hospital, is part of the University of New South Wales. The unit conducts trials in all haematology disciplines, and has an enviable record of success in clinical research. The haematologists will advise you if you are eligible for any trial. Our mission statement is “Making a difference in Healthcare through Quality Research”.
Cancer Outreach Program (COP)
COP is an initiative of NSW Heath allowing patients with haematological malignancies to be reviewed by expert haematology nurses in their homes. The team is staffed by two Clinical Nurse Consultants and covers the St George District & Sutherland Shire. We provide assessment, monitoring & review of patients post high dose or complex chemotherapy regimes, this can also include organisation of outpatient blood & platelet transfusions. We provide an early discharge program for patients having peripheral blood stem cell transplant.
To contact The Cancer Outreach Program please call 02 9113 1111 and ask for pager 392 or 345.
- Cancer Care Centre 02 9113 3943
- Prince William Wing 02 9113 2513
- Sutherland Oncology Clinic 02 9540 8140
Haematology Secretary - Department of Haematology
- Tel 02 9113 3438
- Fax 02 9113 3942
Haematology Secretaries - Cancer Care Centre
- Tel 02 9113 3851
- Tel 02 9113 2692
- Fax 02 9113 3958
Clinical Trials Unit
- Tel 02 9113 1935
Cancer Outreach Program
- Tel 02 9113 1111 and ask for pager 392 or 345
Above are links to agencies and other organisations that contain useful information. These links do not imply any endorsement, support or commercial gain by South Eastern Sydney and Illawarra Area Health Service or NSW Health or the State of New South Wales. See our Disclaimer for more information.